I’m a software and interactive media developer. My professional work has so far been focused on executing front-end and creating self-contained developer onboarding products. My narrative work emphasises an interest in formal experimentation across computer interfaces and recontextualising experience into components of the posthuman.
- Tlon Corporation, June 2019 - Present
Designing and executing userspace software for Urbit, an operating system and peer-to-peer network built from scratch, using React and Hoon. I also write and present talks when required regarding the operating system, user interface, and our design theory more generally; participate in communications and product sprints internally several times per year, and represent the project at conferences.
Recently I executed a redesign for all Urbit websites in late 2019. When needed, I serve as a general developer for projects in other departments.
interactive projects and selected media coverage
Sol Hemochroma — 4 September 2018
Producer, narrative design, additional programming.
Subserial Network — 1 June 2018
Project direction, lead writer, additional programming and art assets. First published as part of the Humble Monthly.
- PC Gamer: Sexuality and gender in science fiction games (Interview, 4 Aug 2018)
- Rock Paper Shotgun: Investigate a post-human revolution in Subserial Network (19 Sep 2018)
- Kotaku: A Cyberpunk Detective Game About Finding Rogue Androids (19 Sep 2018)
- PC Gamer: Subserial Network is a 1990s internet simulator with android-hunting (24 Sep 2018)
- Eurogamer: Saving punk from cyberpunk (Interview, 26 Sep 2018)
LOCALHOST — 25 August 2017
Development, production, narrative design.
- Kotaku: An Unsettling Game Where You Convince AI To Let You Erase Them (25 Aug 2017)
- Polygon: How do you convince an artificial intelligence it’s OK to die? (30 Aug 2017)
- Rock Paper Shotgun: Delete innocent AIs from hard drives in Localhost (4 Sep 2017)
- Game Informer: Five Reasons You Should Check Out Localhost (7 Sep 2017)
- PC Gamer: Localhost is a cyberpunk game about talking AIs into being deleted (16 Sep 2017)
Arc Symphony — 15 May 2017
Development, production, narrative design.
- Polygon: Arc Symphony is the classic JRPG everyone loves — that never existed (15 May 2017)
- Kotaku: People Are Reminiscing About A PS1 JRPG That Didn’t Exist (15 May 2017)
- Boing Boing: Arc Symphony is a Playstation game that never existed. Or did it? (16 May 2017)
- Nerdist: The Non-Existent JRPG That Everyone is Nostalgic For (17 May 2017)
- Waypoint: A Love Letter to Your Favorite Fake PS1 Game (18 May 2017)
- Wired: The Story of Arc Symphony, a Game About a Game That Doesn’t Exist (24 May 2017)
Forgotten — 31 December 2016
All development, production, and narrative design.
- Kotaku: Horror Game Explores A Corrupted, Glitchy Video Game (4 January 2017)
- Wired: The First Must-Play Game of the Year is Short, Odd, and Amazing (5 January 2017)
Sonic OC 7 - 31 December 2015
All development, production and narrative design.
Critical Decentralisation Cluster, Chaos Communication Congress - 30 December 2019
“Designing a communal computing interface” talk during the Chaos Communication Congress in Leipzig, Germany.
Arts Intersections Meetup - 21 November 2017
Speculative fiction talk with Cara Mumford and Karl Schroeder.
Additional microtalks given at Dames Making Games in January 2017 and July 2017.
exhibitions and awards
Independent Games Festival Nuovo Award (Honourable Mention) – 20 March 2019
Aether Interactive received an honourable mention for Subserial Network.
Damage Camp - 13 Sep 2018
Showed Sol Hemochroma in the Damage Camp arcade.
Bit Bazaar x Yami-Ichi - 13-14 Jul 2018
Showed Subserial Network.
Bit Bazaar - 25-27 Aug 2017
Showed LOCALHOST and Arc Symphony.
Toronto Comic Arts Festival - 13-14 May 2017
Showed Forgotten and previewed Arc Symphony as part of the Comics X Games Arcade.
Toronto Long Winter - 24 March 2017
Showed Forgotten as part of the Hand Eye Society Arcade.
other creative projects
Charity — 19 April 2019
EP with Lapsed Catholics. Co-songwriting and composition, performance (guitar, keyboards, some bass guitar, and vocals), production and mastering.
Hetaera — 14 December 2018
Album with Lapsed Catholics. Co-songwriting and composition, performance (some guitar, vocals), co-production.
University of Toronto — Honours Bachelor of Arts
Cinema Studies specialist degree with a minor in English literature.
Dames Making Games — Co-Director (2017 - 2018)